Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index

County Hall

County Hall is a building in Lambeth, London, that was used as the headquarters of London County Council and later the Greater London Council. Today it is the site of many business and attractions including Saatchi Gallery, and the London Aquarium as well as several hotels and restaurants. The London Eye has been built on its grounds.

County Hall

It is situated on the bank of the River Thames, and is just north of Westminster Bridge. It faces west towards the City of Westminster. The nearest tube stations are Waterloo and Westminster.


The main building was designed by Ralph Knott and is a six story, faced in Portland Stone and in an 'Edwardian Baroque' style. Work started on its construction in 1911 and it was opened in 1933 by King George V. The later buildings (North, South and Island blocks) were completed later, the last in 1974.

For sixty-four years it served as the headquarters of local government for London, until the abolition of the GLC in 1986 by Margaret Thatcher. During the last years of its life, under leader Ken Livingstone it was frequently a billboard for slogans aimed at the Palace of Westminster on the other side of the river. The building was transferred to the London Residuary Body and eventually sold off to private investors.