The ancient riverside village had an extensive parish, which stretched for six miles south, including the manors of Kennington and Vauxhall. The parish, and the subsequent Metropolitan Borough of Lambeth (1899-1965), included the settlements at Brixton and Norwood.
The Archbishop of Canterbury has his official residence at Lambeth Palace. The parish church of St Mary Lambeth is next door to Lambeth Palace. It still has a medieval tower, but was mostly rebuilt in the Victorian period. It narrowly escaped demolition in the 1970s and is now the Museum of Garden History. The churchyard contains the tomb of the famous plant collector John Tradescant.
Lambeth is the site of St Thomas' Hospital.