Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index

Technical University of Berlin

The Technical University of Berlin (TUB, TU Berlin, German: Technische Universitšt Berlin) is located in Berlin in Germany. It was founded in 1879 and has about 30,000 students.

Table of contents
1 History
2 Campus
3 Organization
4 Students
5 Faculty
6 Noted Alumni and Professors
7 External Links
8 See also

History

The TU Berlin was formed in 1879 under the name Royal Technical College of Charlottenburg (later Berlin) by merging the preexisting Building Academy (established in 1799) and the Vocational Academy (est. 1829). Since 1916, it included the former Mining Academy which was founded in 1770. It was closed after World War II on April 20, 1945 and reestablished on April 9, 1946 under its current name.

Campus

The TU Berlin covers ca. 600,000 m≤, distributed over various locations in western Berlin. The main campus is located in the borough of Charlottenburg.

Organization

Since April 1, 2001, the TU Berlin is divided into the following 8 faculties:

  1. Humanities
  2. Mathematics and Natural Sciences
  3. Process Science
  4. Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
  5. Mechanical Engineering and Transport Systems
  6. Civil Engineering and Applied Geosciences
  7. Architecture, Environment, Society
  8. Economics and Management

Students

With nearly 30,000 students, the TU Berlin is Germany's largest technical university. It also holds the record of highest percentage of students from other countries - about 20%.

Faculty

As of 2003, ca. 7100 employees work at the TU Berlin, including about 360 professors and 1,820 scientific employees.

Noted Alumni and Professors

(Including those of the Academies mentioned under History)

External Links

See also