Targa TasmaniaTarga Tasmania
is a a tarmac-based rally racing
event held on the island state of Tasmania
, annually since 1991
. The event takes its name from the Targa Florio, a former motoring event held on the island of Sicily
The rally started as a five day event, expanded to six days in 1994.
- Leg 0 (prologue) - George Town to Launceston.
- Leg 1 The Northern loop - Launceston - Devonport - Launceston
- Leg 2 The North east loop - Launceston - Bicheno - Launceston
- Leg 3 The Southern loop - Launceston - Cygnet - Hobart
- Leg 4 Hobart to Mole Creek to Burnie
- Leg 5 The West Coast Enduro - Burnie - Queenstown - Hobart
The Targa is not part of the Australian rally championship, and as well as attracting elite drivers going all-out to win has a large field of cars of all speeds and drivers of varying seriousness. The rally prides itself on having a large range of rally cars from all ages of motoring - in the past they have included:
Past and current competitors have included Sir Jack Brabham
, Dick Johnson, Peter Brock
, Glenn Ridge, Eric Bana
, Jim Richards, Barry Sheene
, Michael Doohan
, and Murray Walker.
External link: http://www.targa.org.au