Samuel LaingSamuel Laing
was a Scottish writer, born 1780
, died 1868
. He traveled in Scandinavia
and northern Germany
and published descriptions of these countries.
- Journal of a residence in Norway during the years 1834, 1835, and 1836, 1836
- A tour in Sweden in 1838, 1839
- In this work, the author strongly criticizes the Swedish-Norwegian union, implying that Norway ought to strive for independence. This caused a comment from the Swedish-Norwegian ambassador in London, M. Björnstierna, On the moral state and political union of Sweden and Norway, 1840.
- Notes of a traveller, 1842
- Covers journeys in Prussia and other countries. The preface contains a response to Björnstierna's work (see above).
- Heimskringla. The Chronicle of the Kings of Norway, 3 vol., 1844
The writer's son was also named Samuel Laing
, born 1812
, died 1897
, railroad administrator and writer.