: 17th century
- 18th century
- 19th century
Decades: 1730s 1740s 1750s 1760s 1770s - 1780s - 1790s 1800s 1810s 1820s 1830s
Years: 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 - 1780 - 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785
- January 16 - American Revolutionary War: Battle of Cape St. Vincent
- February, Armed Neutrality of the North alliance formed between Denmark, Sweden, and Russia.
- May 12 - American Revolutionary War: Charleston, South Carolina is taken by British forces.
- August 16 - American Revolutionary War: Battle of Camden - The British defeat the Americans near Camden, South Carolina.
- October 2 - American Revolutionary War: British spy John Andre is hanged by American forces.
- Britain attacks the United Provinces before it can join the Neutral Alliance, because of its support for the American uprising.
- First Epsom Derby horse race run at Epsom Downs, Surrey, England.
- Emperor Kokaku ascends to the throne of Japan
- November 29 - Maria Theresia of Austria dies and her Habsburg dominions pass to her ambitious son, Joseph II, who has already been Holy Roman Emperor since 1765.