The perching ducks are a small group of ducks in the duck, goose and swan family Anatidae. The latter article should be referred to for an overview of this very large family.
The perching ducks, together with the diving ducks and dabbling ducks make up the sub-family Anatinae.
As the name indicates, most of this group walk well and perch readily on branches and the like.
There are some taxonomic problems with this mainly southern group. It may currently be split into too many genera, and there are questions as to the coherence of the group as a whole.
The species are:
- Comb Duck Sarkidiornis melanotos
- Pink-eared Duck Malacorhynchus membranaceus
- Blue Duck Hymenolaimus malacorhynchos
- Torrent Duck Merganetta armata
- Hartlaub's Duck Pteronetta hartlaubi
- Muscovy Duck Cairina moschata
- White-winged Wood Duck Cairina scutulata
- Wood Duck Aix sponsa
- Mandarin Aix galericulata
- Green Pygmy Goose Nettapus pulchellus
- Cotton Pygmy Goose Nettapus coromandellanus
- African Pygmy Goose Nettapus auritus
- Salvadori's Duck Salvadorina waigiuensis
- Ringed Teal Callonetta leucophrys
- Maned Duck Chenonetta jubata
- Brazilian Duck Amazonetta brasiliensis