There are many different numbering schemes
for assigning numbers
to entities. These generally require an agreed set of rules, or a central coordinator.
Numbering schemes include:
please add more numbering schemes to this list...
- The E.164 numbering plan for telephone numbers, including:
- The IP address allocation scheme (IANA)
- The NSAP allocation scheme
- The MAC address allocation scheme for hardware addresses of certain networking products
- The UPC numbering scheme for barcodes on products
- The EAN numbering scheme (EAN International), including
- ISBN codes for books
- ISSN codes for periodicals
- US Social Security numbers
- Credit card number prefixes
- FIPS place codes
- Zip codes
- CAS registry numbers for chemical compounds
- EC numbers for identifying enzymes
- UN numbers for (classes of) hazardous substances
- E numbers for food additives
- West American Digest System legal topic numbering scheme
There should be a similar list of naming schemes.