, is a resort town in west Switzerland
, on Lake Geneva
; population about 20,000.
Montreux holds several noteworthy festivals:
- international television festival awarding the Golden Rose of Montreux; annually in the spring since 1961
- international jazz festival; annually in July since 1967
It is home to American
opera soprano, Barbara Hendricks, like nearby town of La Tour-de-Peilz is home of Canadian
singing star Shania Twain
, in the castillo of Sully.
Montreux is mentioned by Ian Gillan of the band Deep Purple in the seminal classic rock song "Smoke on the Water", which in part tells the story of the fire that destroyed the Montreux casino in 1971.
- "We all came out to Montreux on the Lake Geneva shoreline
- To make records with a mobile - We didn't have much time
- Frank Zappa & the Mothers were at the best place around
- But some stupid with a flare gun burned the place to the ground
- Smoke on the water - A fire in the sky
- Smoke on the water" and so forth.