It was designed by John Nash in 1828, based on the triumphal arch of Constantine in Rome. It is built of white Carrara marble. It was originally erected on The Mall as a gateway to the new Buckingham Palace (rebuilt by Nash from the former Buckingham House), but was found to be too narrow for the state coach, and had to be moved in 1851 to its present location.
The Arch stands close to the site of the Tyburn gallows (sometimes call 'Tyburn Tree'), a place of public execution from 1388 until 1793.
The nearest London Underground station is Marble Arch, on the Central Line.