Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index

Lime Grove Studios

Lime Grove Studios was a film studio complex built by the Gaumont Film Company in 1915 situated in a street named Lime Grove, near Hammersmith, west London and described by Gaumont as "the finest studio in Great Britain and the first building ever put up in this country solely for the production of films".

The studios prospered under Gaumont, and later, Gainsborough Pictures and not long after the start of World War II were bought by Arthur Rank and became a home on many occasions to the Ealing comedies. The famous British film The Wicked Lady (1945) was also made at Lime Grove.

In 1949, the BBC bought Lime Grove Studios as a "temporary measure" as they built their Television Centre at nearby White City and began converting them for television use.

Lime Grove would be home to many BBC TV shows over the next forty-two years, including Quatermass and The Pit, Steptoe and Son, Doctor Who, Nationwide and That's Life.

In 1991, the BBC decided to consolidate its television production at Television Centre and close its other studios including Lime Grove and so it was that on July 22, 1991, the day the studios were closed forever, the BBC transmitted a special day of programming called "The Lime Grove Story" featuring examples of the many programmes and films that had been made at Lime Grove in its 76 years as a place of film and television production.

The studios themselves were put on the market and eventually were bought by a development company who demolished the studios and redeveloped the area for residential housing.