Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index

Ealing Studios

Ealing Studios, a film production company at Ealing Green in West London, claims to be the oldest film studio in the world. The site had been previously occupied by Will Barker Studios from 1896, but was acquired by theatre producer Basil Dean's newly formed Associated Talking Pictures in 1929, and reopened as Ealing Studios in 1931. In 1933 the company was renamed to Associated Talking Pictures. When Dean left in 1938, to be replaced by Michael Balcon from MGM, about 60 films had been made at the studios. Balcon discontinued the ATP name and began to issue films under the Ealing Studios name. In 1944 the studios were taken over by the Rank organisation.

1947 saw the first of the so-called Ealing Comedies, Hue and Cry. This was the beginning of a popular series of comedies that became the hallmark of Ealing Studios. Others include Passport to Pimlico (1949) , Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949), Whisky Galore (1949), The Lavender Hill Mob (1951) and The Man in the White Suit (1951) The last comedy in this series was The Ladykillers (1955).

The BBC bought the studios in 1955. In 1995 the studios were purchased by the National Film & Television School (NFTS).

Table of contents
1 The Ealing Studios Films
2 Documentaries
3 The BBC TV Productions
4 Later Films
5 Independent TV

The Ealing Studios Films


The BBC TV Productions

Later Films


Independent TV