Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball Z (Japanese: ドラゴンボール Z romaji:Dragon Ball Z - Doragon Booru Z)is the long-running sequel to the popular Anime, Dragon Ball. Specifically, it follows the adventures of the adult Goku (a Saiyan) and company as they defend the Earth against assorted villains. The distinction here is that while the Dragon Ball Manga follows Goku through childhood into adulthood, Dragon Ball Z is the designation given to the animation series to distinguish his adult adventures from the adventures he had as a child, which holds the original name Dragon Ball. The distinction is significant in that Goku's earlier adventures were much more comedy oriented, while as an adult the series took on a more dramatic and decidedly serious tone.
Dragon Ball Z was adapted from the Dragon Ball Manga created by Akira Toriyama. The main character is Goku, an extremely powerful, yet simpleminded and kindly character. After a visit from his previously unknown brother Raditz, he discovers that he is an alien that was sent to Earth to destroy it. When he informs Raditz that he has no intention of doing this, Goku and his friends become the erstwhile defenders of the Earth from the oncoming invasion by more of his kind.
It was first premiered on April 18, 1989 (channel?) and ended on January 31, 1996 with the last episode on the Buu Saga.
As the series progresses, Goku, his son Gohan and their companions age, get immensely stronger, and fight increasingly powerful and sinister villains. Many of the main characters die, are resurrected, get married and/or have children. The series has had a dramatic progression throughout its entire run.
Many important facts were introduced into the series that add a different story arc to Dragon Ball Z from its predecessor:
Goku is an alien from Planet Vegeta. This is the source of his previously unexplained abilities, and why he has a tail.
Goku's enemy from the first series, Piccolo, is an alien from Planet Namek. He is the product of Kami (guardian of Earth) splitting himself in half to purge the evil from himself.
- Android Cell - A biological android (Bio Android) designed by Dr Gero and created by a super computer.
- Android 13 - A mechanical android created by one of Dr Gero's super computers well after he is dead.
- Android 14 - A mechanical android created by the same super computer.
- Android 15 - A mechanical android created by the same super computer.
- Android 16 - An android created by Dr Gero, made to be the perfect machine. Infinite energy source.
- Android 17 - A black haired mechanical android. Infinite energy source.
- Android 18 - A blonde female mechanical android. Infinite energy source.
- Android 19 - An energy absorbing android model by Dr Gero.
- Android 20 - The android Dr Gero had himself turned into. Energy absorbing model.
- Babidi - Son of Bibidi, this evil wizard who released Majin Buu.
- Bardock - Father of Goku. Killed trying to stop Frieza from destroying Planet Vegeta.
- Bibidi - The original creator of Kid Buu, and father to Babidi. ("Bibidi Babidi Buu")
- Bra - Daughter of Bulma and Vegeta.
- Bulma - A human female with blue coloured hair, and a large number of love partners.
- Broly - A saiyan who was born with a power level of 10,000. (Goku had a power level of 2 at birth).
- Chi-Chi - Human wife of Goku and mother to Gohan and Goten.
- Dabura - The Ruler of the Underworld.
- Daikaioh - Jealous Kai, eaten by Buu.
- Dr Gero - Evil scientist who built a variety of androids designed to kill Goku.
- Dende - The young Namekian who helps the Z Fighters out during the Frieza Saga, and later becomes the Earth's new Guardian.
- Elder Kai - A previous Supreme Kai that had been sealed in The Z Sword.
- East Kai - The Kai of the East Galaxy.
- Evil Buu - The result of Majin Buu excreting the evil within.
- Frieza - Evil alien who at one time was the most powerful creature in the universe.
- Garlic Junior - Filler villain.
- Gogeta - Goku and Vegeta fused using the fusion technique, with Goku as the main influence.
- Gohan - The first halfbreed son of Goku and Chi-chi.
- Goku - The lovable saiyan. Main character.
- Goten - Goku and Chi-chi's second son.
- Gotenks - Goten and Chibi Trunks fused using the fusion technique.
- Grand Kai - This is the Kai you meet with the long beard in the afterlife.
- Guru - The original eldest Namekian. He alone is responsible for the current Namekian population.
- Hercule - "World Champion" martial artist. Also known as Mr Satan.
- Kid Buu - The original Buu, before absorbing the fat kai. (Daikaioh)
- Kami - The Namekian guardian of Earth who goes on to fuse with Picollo.
- Kibito - The Supreme Kai's loyal companion.
- Kibito Kai - Kibito and Kai fused using the Elder Kai's fusion earrings.
- Krillin - Short bald human, although very strong.
- Majin Buu - The Buu initially revived by Babidi.
- Master Roshi - An old human who once trained Goku and Krillin.
- Nail - Guru's Personal Body Guard. A Namekian.
- Nappa - Vegeta's original side kick. A Saiyan.
- North Kai - The Kai of the North Galaxy.
- Piccolo - A name assumed by a few slightly different characters throughout the series.
- Pan - Daughter of Videl and Gohan. One quarter Saiyan.
- Porunga - Dragon of Namek, grants 3 wishes every 6 months or so.
- Raditz - One of the first Saiyans to reach Earth.
- Shenron - the dragon of the Earth, grants 2 wishes every six months
- Super Buu - Evil Buu on steroids.
- Supreme Kai - The Supreme Kai of the universe.
- South Kai - The Kai of the South Galaxy.
- Trunks - Vegeta and Bulma's son. Trunks has purple hair.
- Vegeta - A Saiyan who was once the prince of his planet. Went on to marry and live on Earth.
- Vegeto - Goku and Vegeta fused using the Elder Kai's fusion earrings, with Vegeta as the main influence.
- Videl - The daughter of Hercule. Eventually she goes out with, then marries Gohan.
- West Kai - The Kai of the West Galaxy.
- Uubu - Uubu is the human reincarnation of Kid Buu. Ultimate Buu.
The Dragon Ball Z series can be logically broken into sagas based on the current enemy:
The characters' story continues after these sagas with the series Dragon Ball GT.
- The Saiyan Saga
- The Frieza Saga
- The Garlic Junior Saga
- The Android Saga
- The Cell Saga
- The Great Saiyaman Saga
- The Buu Saga