Connex GSM RomaniaConnex GSM
is the largest mobile phone network
operator in Romania
. Connex provides roaming
agreements with 238 international operators in 103 countries. The operator is owned by MobiFon SA. Connex, launched in 1997
as the first GSM
network in Romania (although not the first mobile phone network), covers 95% of the Romanian population, with over 3,000,000 subscribers and 55.97% market share.
They compete with:
The new motto of Connex is Tu faci viitorul
(You create the future). The previous and more well-known motto was Connex Viitorul sună bine
(The future sounds good).
Brands of Connex
Connex, or rather MobiFon SA, owns numerous brands. They include:
- Xnet - one of the largest Romanian ISPs
- myX - Romania's first mobile portal
- myBanking - mobile banking service
- myDomain - domain name service
Connex GSM was an innovator in the Romanian market, and, after launching in 1997, debuted many new services.
- 1998: SMS services introduced
- 1999: Xnet Internet service introduced; High Speed Circuit Switched Data (HSCSD) technology introduced; mobile phones running on Connex donated to ambulance service of Oradea (first Romanian company to do so)
- 2000: WAP mobile Internet services launched
- 2001: myX, Romania's first web portal launched; SMS services such as dating, ringtones and logos are introduced; GPRS service launched
- 2002: GPRS prepaid introduced; first company in Europe to introduce World Wide Number (WWN) facilities; mobile banking introduced in cooperation with Banca Comerciala Romana (BCR).
- 2003: myBanking introduced - a service in collaboration with Raiffeisen Bank, for customers to pay Connex bills and do banking automatically