is a city in the Buzău county
, situated near the right bank of the Buzău river, between the Carpathian Mountains
and the fertile lowlands of south Moldavia
and east Wallachia. Buzău is important as a market for petroleum, timber and grain. It is the meeting-place of railroads from Rāmnicu Sărat
Buzau is the seat of a bishop, whose cathedral was erected in 1640 by Prince Matthias Bassarab of Walachia, on the site of an older church. In the neighborhood there are many monasteries. Buzău was formerly called Napuca or Buzograd.