Butch Cassidy and the Sundance KidButch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
is a 1969
Western film which tells the story of two lighthearted outlaws who seem more inclined to trade quips than shots. It stars Paul Newman
, Robert Redford
, Katharine Ross, Strother Martin
, Henry Jones, Jeff Corey, Cloris Leachman, Ted Cassidy, Kenneth Mars and Donnelly Rhodes.
The movie was written by William Goldman and directed by George Roy Hill.
It won Academy Awards for Best Cinematography, Best Music, Original Score for a Motion Picture (not a Musical), Best Music, Song (Burt Bacharach and Hal David for "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head") and Best Writing, Story and Screenplay Based on Material Not Previously Published or Produced. It was nominated for Best Director, Best Picture and Best Sound.
The two starring roles were originally offered to Warren Beatty and Steve McQueen. Even Marlon Brando was considered at one point. When Newman and Redford came aboard, originally their roles were reversed, with Newman as Sundance and Redford as Cassidy.
The Sundance Film Festival, begun by Robert Redford, is named for his role in this film.
In 2003 the United States Library of Congress deemed the film "culturally significant" and selected it for preservation in the National Film Registry.
- "I'm not crazy; I'm just colorful."
- "If he'd just pay me what he's paying them to stop me robbing him, I'd stop robbing him!"
- Butch Cassidy: You jump first.
- The Sundance Kid: No, I said.
- Butch Cassidy: What's the matter with you?
- The Sundance Kid: I can't swim.
- Butch Cassidy: Why you crazy--the fall will probably kill you.
- "Who are those guys?"
- The Sundance Kid: Listen, your job is to back me up, because you'd starve without me. And you, your job is to shut up!
- Butch Cassidy: He'll feel a lot better after he's robbed a couple of banks.
See Also: List of movies - List of actors - List of directors - List of documentaries - List of Hollywood movie studios