American SamoaAmerican Samoa
is a United States territory
in the South Pacific Ocean
. Settled as early as 1000 BC
, Samoa was "discovered" by European explorers in the 18th century. International rivalries in the latter half of the 19th century
were settled by an 1899
treaty in which Germany
and the US divided the Samoan archipelago. The US formally occupied its portion - a smaller group of eastern islands with the excellent harbor of Pago Pago
- the following year. (see History of Samoa
American Samoa was organized as a territory of the United States on February 20, 1929.
See: List of American Samoa Governors
- Made in the USA - Goods manufactured in territories or protectorates of the United States can be labeled 'Made in the USA'
- About 30 ethnic Samoans currently play in the NFL; it has been estimated that a Samoan male is 40 times more likely to play in the NFL than a non-Samoan American.
- Persons born in American Samoa are United States nationals, but not United States citizens. This is virtually the only circumstance under which an individual would be one and not the other.
- Not to be confused with the adjacent nation of Samoa.