The town was first mentioned in 1034, at that time under the name Ammenberg. It became an important trading centre in the Middle Ages, exporting mainly iron ore and iron products. In 1269 the town became together with Bamberg subordinate to the Wittelsbach dynasty, that ruled Bavaria.
In 1329 the town and the entire Oberpfalz fell to a collateral line of the Wittelsbach family and was no longer part of Bavaria. The rulers of the Palatinate were open-minded towards Protestantism. In the 16th century the town turned to Lutheranism, but attempts of the ruling family to introduce the more radical Calvinism failed.
In 1628 Amberg and the Oberfalz became parts of Bavaria again. The inhabitants had to make a decision: returning to Catholicism or leaving the town forever. Many families left the town and fled to the Free Imperial Cities of Regensburg and Nuremberg.\n