is an enhanced port of the official DOOM source code
, created by Randy Heit. It works with (and requires) Windows 95
(although versions for DOS
are also available), and adds several new features not found in the version published by id Software
. ZDoom is generally regarded as one of the most advanced of today's DOOM ports.
ZDoom may be used and distributed free of charge. No profit may be made from the sale of it. These are terms set forth by the DOOM Source Code license, the MIDAS Digital Audio System license, and the Prometheus Truecolor license.
Advanced features of ZDoom include:
- Support for all of Hexen's editing features (ACS, hubs, new map format, etc.)
- Support for most of BOOM's editing features.
- Removal of most of the original DOOM's limits (including the evil visplane overflow).
- Free look (look up/down).
- High screen resolutions (with optimizationss for modern processors).
- Translucency (regular and additive).
- A console.
- More music formatss: MOD, XM, IT, S3M, MIDI, and MP3 as well as MUS.
- Support for PNG format images.
- Better mouse support.
- Limited UDP (Internet or LAN) networking inherited from Linux DOOM.
- Quake-style key bindings.
- Walk over/under monsters and other things.
- Runs under Windows 95/98, Windows NT, and Linux.
- Support for DoomConnector network games.
- Support for custom player skins.
- Support for sloped flats.
ZDoom Documentation Project - Wiki project to maintain up-to-date ZDoom documentation