Winchester Palace was a thirteenth century palace and house of the Bishops of Winchester. It is next door to Southwark Cathedral in London. Southwark was the largest town in his diocese and he was a major landowner in the area.
Most of the palace was destroyed by fire in 1814. Part of the great hall, and the west gable end with its rose window remain visible.
It is believed that the great hall was built c.1220 and that the rose window was added 100 years later.
It is a Scheduled Ancient Monument managed by English Heritage.