is a village in the U.S. state of Texas
, located in Tyler County
(32° 32' N, 94° 54' W). Its population as of the 1990 U.S. Census was 250. Its ZIP code
was also the name of a town in Texas, site of Fort Warren in the early 1800s. It was in present-day Fannin County
near the border with Grayson County
on the Red River
. Warren was the county seat of Fannin County when that county was established in 1837. However when the county seat was moved to Bonham
in 1843, Warren began a period of decline. It served as a logistical station for the Confederacy
during the American Civil War
, but was bypassed by the railroad after the war. As a result it eventually became uninhabited; its post office closed in 1876.
The original courthouse was removed from Warren in the 1920s with an eye toward moving it to Bonham as a historic landmark, but this was never completed.