USS New Hampshire
Two ships of the United States Navy
have borne the name New Hampshire
, after the ninth state
, as well as another that was never completed.
The first New Hampshire was one of the "nine ships to rate not less than 74 guns each" authorized by Congress on 29 April 1816, but was not launched until 1864, thereafter serving as a stores and depot ship, and then used for training until an accidental fire in 1921.
The second New Hampshire (BB-25), a battleship, was commissioned 1908 and sold for scrapping in 1923.
A New Hampshire (BB-70) was authorized in 1940 but cancelled in 1943, before the keel was even laid.