Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index

University of Guelph

Established in 1964, the University of Guelph is a moderately sized university located in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. While U of G offers degrees in many different disciplines, the University is best-known for its agricultural sciences programs.

U of G ranked 1st overall and 2nd in reputation in Canada among comprehensive universities defined as institutions with significant research activity and a range of programs, including professional degrees in the 2002 Maclean's magazine survey of Canadian universities.

The University is also home to the Ontario Veterinary College, Ontario's only veterinary school.

Table of contents
1 Campus
2 Administrative Structure
3 Presidents
4 History
5 External Links


The main University campus spans 1,017 acres (412 hectares), including a 408-acre (165 hectare) arboretum and a 30-acre (12 hectare) research park. It is home to 16,187 full-time students (graduate and undergraduate) and 2,670 faculty and staff.

The campus is typically considered one of the most scenic in Ontario because of the mix of old-fashioned, brick-style buildings and more contemporary stone structures. Trees are also an intricate part of the campus look, lining several main pathways. The campus arboretum has a wide variety of different varieties of trees. Many main walkways are paved with red brick.

In Branion Plaza, at the campus' centre, is the University of Guelph cannon. "Old Jeremiah", as he's admirably known among students, was originally a British naval gun, although it's historical use and how it came to Guelph are not precisely known. The cannon enjoyed relative tranquility until the 1950s when some entrepreneuring student came up with the idea of painting a message on the highly-visible landmark. The act of "painting the cannon" has since become a campus tradition with students, residences, sports teams, clubs and others regularly braving the early morning hours to paint messages on the cannon about upcoming meetings, birthday announcements, and inter-hall rivalries. While not strictly allowed, "painting the cannon" is rarely disallowed so long as the culprits follow some loose etiquette guidelines: 1) be finished by the time the first students regularly arrive for classes in the morning; and 2) no profanity or derogatory content. It is also an important practice to "guard" the cannon until sunrise as to avoid another person/group painting over the message.

Another high-visible landmark is Johnston Hall, constructed in 1931. The Johnston Clocktower overlooks Winegard Walk and is visible from much of the campus. The building also overlooks Johnston Green, a popular location from recreational sporting activities and outdoor concerts.

Administrative Structure

The University of Guelph is the amalgam of six Colleges:



The Ontario Agricultural College (OAC) began in 1873 as an associate agricultural College of the University of Toronto. Its first building was Moreton Lodge, located where Johnston Hall presently stands, which included classrooms, residences, a library, and a dining room. (Several buildings constructed during this time period are still a part of campus life today, including President's Residence, Raithby House, and Day Hall.)

The Macdonald Institute was established in 1903 to house women's Home Economics programs at the College. The growth spurt from 1900 to 1906 also saw the construction of MacDonald Hall, Massey Hall, and the Bullring (currently known as 'The Ring').

Several important buildings were opened in 1922, including the Ontario Veterinary College Main Building, Mills Hall (formerly a boys residence, converted to co-ed in 2000), and Food Science. Johnston Hall was constructed in 1931, taking the place of the torn-down Moreton Lodge. Johnston would house the OAC Administration from that year forth.

In 1964, the Ontario Agricultural College, the Macdonald Institute, and the Ontario Veterinary College amalgamated and were granted University status, giving life to the University of Guelph as it is now known.

Shortly after, during the period of 1967 to 1975, massive construction took place, giving rise to many new and expansive buildings such as the McLaughlin Library, the MacKinnon Building, the University Centre, and South Residence.

New construction has been taking place since 2001 as a result of the anticipated rise in enrollment due to the Ontario double cohort and population increases. New buildings already constructed include the Gryphon Dome, the East Village Residences, and Rozanski Hall. A state-of-the-art Science Complex is currently being constructed.

External Links