is a village
. It is located in the Chiltern Hills
, about three miles south of Chinnor in Oxfordshire
, six miles west of High Wycombe
The village name is Anglo Saxon in origin, and means 'church made of logs'. In manorial records of 1200 the village was referred to as Stockenechurch.
Today the village is a popular place to live, due to its rural location and ease of access to London and Birmingham. Stokenchurch is next to junction 5 of the M40.
Stokenchurch is one of the main places in Britain where one can regularly see the Red Kite, a formerly endangered species whose numbers are now recovering well, though still in isolated pockets such as the Chilterns and West Wales.