Skellig Michael survived a Viking raid in 823 and later was significantly expanded with a new chapel around the start of the second millennium. It was finally abandoned about a century after that. Starting in the 1500s, Skellig Michael became a popular destination for annual pilgrimages, but had no permanent residents. In 1826 a lighthouse was built on the island. In 1986 some restoration work was done and an official tourist bureau associated with the island was established. However restrictions have recently been imposed on tourist access, in the belief that tourist numbers (in particular in tourists' use of the ancient stone steps up the rock) was causing a worrying degree of damage to the site. Alternatives methods that would preserve the site while allowing public access are being considered.
An interesting connection: In the popular children's book 'Skellig' by David Almond, a young boy named Micheal finds a mysterious man-creature living in his soon to be demolished garage.