Sheffield’s first parish church was constructed in the twelfth century by William de Lovetot at the opposite end of the town to Sheffield Castle. This established the area of the parish of Sheffield, unchanged until the twentieth century. This first church was burnt down in 1266 during the Barons War against King Henry II.
A second parish church was completed in 1280, dedicated to Saint Peter and Saint Paul. Again, this church was mostly demolished and rebuilt about 1430 on a cruciform floor plan. The Shrewsbury Chapel was added in the next century, and a vestry chapel (now the Chapel of Saint Katherine was added in 1777. Since then, the nave has been rebuilt, and extended twice.
The church is still Sheffield’s parish church, but in 1913 it became a cathedral. Plans were drafted by Charles Nicholson to extend the church and reorient it on its axis, but due to World War II these were greatly scaled down. The resulting additions leave the church an awkward shape in plan, but with an impressive south elevation.
The cathedral is now very much in the city centre, opposite the Cutlers Hall and with its own tram stop.