(Katherine "Kitty" Pryde) is a comic book superhero
in the Marvel Comics universe
. She has also used the code-names Sprite
in her career, and is a member of the X-Men
. She first appeared in X-Men
). She is one of the few Jewish characters in Marvel Comics.
Pryde is a mutant, with the ability to become intangible and walk through solid matter (an ability she calls "phasing"). She joined the X-Men at the age of 13, shortly after becoming embroiled in the team's conflict with The Hellfire Club. Despite Professor X's attempt to move her to The New Mutants after they were formed, she remained an X-Man for several years.
Due to a battle injury, Kitty Pryde became unable to control her phasing abilities, and nearly faded out of existence. Although Reed Richards and Doctor Doom saved her life, for years she was only able to become solid through great effort. After her injury, Shadowcat beame a member of Excalibur until it disbanded, at which time she returned to the X-Men.
She had an on-again, off-again relationship with her fellow team member, Colossus until his death.
Television & Film
In the animated television movie Pryde of the X-Men, Kitty Pryde was voiced by Kath Soucie.
In the animated series X-Men: Evolution, she was voiced by Maggie Blue O'Hara.
In the movie X-Men, she was played by Sumela Kay. In the sequel, X2, she was played by Katie Stuart.
- Name: Katherine "Kitty" Pryde
- Aliases: Sprite, Ariel, Cat
- From: Deerfield, Illinois
- Group Affiliation:
- Height: 5 ft. 6 in.
- Weight: 110 lbs.
- Eyes: Hazel
- Hair: Brown
- Intelligence Level: Genius
- Strength: Normal
- Agility: Athlete
- Reflexes: Athlete
- Stamina: Normal
- Speed: Normal, possibly greater in intangible form
- Endurance: Incalculable (intangible form only)
- Other powers and skills: Shadowcat possesses the ability to pass through solid matter by passing her atoms through the spaces between the atoms of the object through which she is moving. Utilizing her phasing ability she can also float in the air by becoming less dense than the molecules of air around her. She calls this "phasing". While phasing she is intangible and thus invulnerable, with the exception of some vulnerability to psionic attack, although psychics have a hard time reaching her mind in phased form. Her phasing powers also distrupt any electronic equipment she passes through. Shadowcat is a genius in the field of applied technology such as computers. She is an excellent hand-to-hand combatant as she was trained extensively by her one time mentor, Wolverine, in the arts of ninjitsu, aikido, and karate. She has had training in gymnastics and is a professional dancer.