Different types of scissors: sewing, kitchen, paper
Scissors are a tool used for cutting thin material which requires little force. They are used for cutting, for example, paper, cardboard, metal foil, thin plastic, food, cloth, rope and wire. They are also used for cutting hair and nailss.
Unlike a knife it has two hinged blades. Most types of scissors are not particularly sharp; it is primarily the friction between the two blades which cuts.
Better than a knife, scissors can be used for cutting out a newspaper article, a picture, etc.
- Pinking shears are scissors with a serrated edge.
- Tin snips are scissors for cutting through sheet metal, for example tin plate.
- Pruning shears and secateurs are scissors for cutting through branches of tree and shrubs.
- Bolt cutters cut through heavy wire and bolts
- A Hemostat resembles a pair of scissors but has a locking clamp instead of a blade; it is used in surgery
Scissors is also a party game as is Rock, Paper, Scissors.