QuatermassProfessor Bernard Quatermass
is a fictional character, created by Nigel Kneale, who appeared in three influential BBC science fiction
series of the 1950s
, and made his swansong in a final series for Thames Television
. Quatermass is a British scientist who continually finds himself confronting sinister alien forces that threaten to destroy humanity. In each series he is played by a different actor.
- The Quatermass Experiment, starring Reginald Tate as Quatermass (1953)
- Quatermass II, starring John Robinson as Quatermass (1955)
- Quatermass and The Pit starring André Morell as Quatermass (1958)
- Quatermass, aka The Quatermass Conclusion in an abridged version, starring John Mills as Quatermass (1979)
The first three series were also adapted as movies
- The Quatermass Xperiment (aka The Quatermass Experiment, aka The Creeping Unknown, starring Brian Donlevy as Quatermass (1955)
- Quatermass II, aka Enemy from Space, also starring Brian Donlevy (1957)
- Quatermass and The Pit aka Five Million Years to Earth, starring Andrew Keir as Quatermass (1967)
Kneale has gone on record as strongly disliking Donlevy's characterization of Quatermass.