Sir Philip Hardwick
) was an architect
(son of architect Thomas Hardwick) particularly associated with transport-related buildings (eg: railway stations, warehouses) in London
Like Inigo Jones some 200 years earlier, Hardwick was inspired by Italian architecture, following a trip to Italy in 1818-19. These influences manifested themselves particularly in his famous 'Propylaeum' or Doric Arch at the old Euston Station (1837), designed for the London and Birmingham Railway. At the Birmingham terminus, Hardwick also designed Curzon Street Station (1838).
His other credits include:
- Kneller Hall in Twickenham (c.1820)
- St Katharine Docks (1827-8)
- Goldsmiths' Hall (1829-35)
- the City of London Club (1833-4) - another building notable for its Italian Palladian style
- Seaford House, Belgravia (1842)
- the Great Hall at Lincoln's Inn (1843-5)
Hardwick's son Philip Charles Hardwick (PC Hardwick) was also an architect and designed the Great Hall of Euston station (opened on 27 May 1849
), parts of the Titsey Estate in Surrey (1856), new wings at the Greenwich Hospital
School (now part of the National Maritime Museum
) (1861-62), and Paddington Station
hotel (1868-74). His father's Arch and the Great Hall were both demolished in the early 1960s to make way for construction of the current Euston Station building.
Gothic architect John Loughborough Pearson studied under Philip Hardwick senior before setting up his own practice in 1843 and designing many notable cathedral buildings, including that at Truro.