, the Pandava
s are the five acknowledged sons of Pandu. They are
and the twins
- Nakula and
- Sahadeva (sons of his second wife Madri).
As Pandu is infertile or impotent due to a curse, and is unable to father children, the actual fatherhood of the children is traditionally attributed to various gods.
- Yudhishtira's fatherhood to Yama, the God of death.
- Bhima to Vayu, the God of Wind.
- Arjuna to Indra, the ruler of heaven.
- Nakula and Sahadeva to Ashwini stars.
Arjuna wins Draupadi
in a famous Swayamvara
. But on his mother's orders he shares his wife along with his other four brothers.
The Pandavas engage in the Mahabharata war with their one hundred cousins, the Kauravas. The Pandavas manage to win the battle with the help of Lord Krishna.