The building was originally a railway station, built in 1900 by Victor Laloux, and served as a terminus for the Paris-Orleans railway. It was known as Gare d'Orsay. It closed in 1939, was classed as a historical monument in 1978, and re-opened as a museum in December 1986, bringing together collections from the Louvre, the Musée du Jeu de Paume and the Musée National d'Art Moderne at the Centre Georges Pompidou.
Artists whose works are on display on the Musee d'Orsay include:
Note that in common with many French museums, it is closed on Mondays.
Note that insecula.com is the best source for images of works in the Orsay, offering far more works than the official site.\n