No services were held at the Mission San Luis Rey de Francia for 46 years. It was not until 1892 when two Mexican priests were given permission to restore the mission as a monastery. Father Joseph O'Keefe was assigned to the mission as an interpreter for the monks. It was he who began to restore the old mission in 1895. The quadrangle and church were completed in 1905.
Today Mission San Luis Rey de Francia is a working mission. It is cared for by the people who belong to the parish, and is still being restored. There is a museum and visitors center at the mission, as well as a small cemetery.