Limoges is known worldwide for its medieval enamels ('Limoges enamels') on copper and for its 19th century porcelain ('Limoges porcelain'.
Limoges was the bithplace of:
The dual structure of medieval Limoges was often at cross purposes. The city, headed by the Bishop, centered round the Cathedral and the Bishop's residence. The walled and moated chateau of the Viscounts of Limoges stood near the walled abbey.
The city of Limoges was famous in the Middle Ages for its enamels on copper, which were exported throughout Christendom.
In 1771 kaolinic clay, the fine white clay indispensable for making hard-paste porcelain, was discovered at Saint-Yrieix-la-Perche, near Limoges. Under the impetus of the progressive economist Turgot, who had been appointed intendant of this impoverished and isolated region, a new ceramics industry was developed, and Limoges porcelain became famous during the 19th century.
The CGT trade union was founded in Limoges, 1890.
Limoges was a center of the maquis resistance to the Vichy puppet government of the Nazis.
A small University was founded at Limoges in 1968.