The town Lillehammer
in the county of Oppland
has 24,796 inhabitants as of January 1, 2002.
Lillehammer was the site of the Lillehammer affair when members of the Israeli Mossad were convicted of the murder of a innocent waiter.
Lillehammer was host city of the 1994 Winter Olympic Games. Alternative and pre-games tourist attractions include:
- Maihaugen, centrally located in Lillehammer, is the largest open-air museum in Norway, with 185 buildings, mostly from Lillehammer town and the Gudbrandsdalen valley.
- The S.S. Skibladner is the world's oldest paddle steamer in scheduled service, launched in 1856. Summer sailings around lake Mjøsa: Lillehammer, Moelv, Gjøvik, Hamar and Eidsvoll.
- Hafjell alpine skiing resort.
- Sjusjøen is a skiiing destination with forest and mountain terrain only 20 km away from the centre of Lillehammer.
- The Sambandets Utdanning og Kompetansesenter is a armyunit located on the camp Jørstadmoen 3-4 km north-west of Lillehammer.