Lijepa nasa domovino
Lijepa naša domovino (Our Beautiful Homeland) is the national anthem of Croatia.
It was the anthem of Socialist Republic of Croatia, and then in Republic of Croatia after independence was declared.
Lyrics were written back in 1868 by Antun Mihanović, and the music was composed by Josip Runjanin. According to some sources, the melody is from "Lucia di Lammermoor" by Gaetano Donizetti.
- Lijepa naša Domovino,
- Oj junačka zemljo mila,
- Stare slave djedovino,
- Da bi vazda sretna bila!
- Mila kano si nam slavna,
- Mila si nam ti jedina,
- Mila kuda si nam ravna,
- Mila kuda si planina!
- Teci Savo, Dravo teci,
- Nit ti, Dunav, silu gubi!
- Sinje more, svijetu reci,
- Da svoj narod Hrvat ljubi!
- Dok mu njive sunce grije,
- Dok mu hrašće bura vije,
- Dok mu mrtve grobak krije,
- Dok mu živo srce bije!
- Our beautiful homeland,
- Oh dear, heroic land,
- Fatherland of ancient glory,
- May you always be happy!
- Dear, as much as you are glorious,
- Only you are dear to us.
- Dear, where your land is flat,
- Dear, where it is mountainous.
- Flow Drava, Sava flow,
- Nor you, Danube, lose your power!
- Azure sea, tell to the world
- That a Croat loves his nation!
- As long as the sun warms his ploughed land,
- As long as storms lash his oak trees,
- As long as graves hide his dead,
- As long as his living heart beats!