Kentish Town is first recorded during the reign of King John (1208) as kentisston. By 1456 Kentish Town was recognised as a thriving hamlet, and in this period a chapel of ease is recorded as being built for the inhabitants.
The early 19th century brought a lot of modernisation, causing a lot of the area's rural charm, the River Fleet and the 18th century buildings to vanish. Between the availability of public transport to it from London, and its urbanisation, it was a popular resort.
Large amounts of land were purchased to build the railway, which can still be seen today. Kentish Town was a prime site for development as the Kentish Town Road was the main route for the growing city of London to the North.
1877 saw the beginning of mission work in the area as it was then poor. The mission first held their services outside but as their funding increased they built a mission house, chapel, and vicarage.
In 1912 the Church of St. Silas the Martyr was finally erected and consecrated, and by December of that year it became a parish in its own right. It can still be seen today along with the church of St Luke with St Paul and the Church of St. Barnabas (handed over to the Greek Orthodox Church in 1957).
Kentish Town was to see further modernisation in the post-World War II period. This means that there are few signs of 19th century influence left in the area. Today Kentish Town is a busy shopping and business area. It offers libraries, gyms and other entertainments to visitors and its community. Its proximity to Camden Town is ideal for further entertainment and a wider range of shops.
Other places of interest in the area: