: Jīlóng, Wade-Giles
: Chi-lung) is a county
-level city of Taiwan Province
, Republic of China
. Located in the northeastern of the island and bordering Taipei County
, it is Taiwan
's second largest seaport
). Keelung is nicknamed "The Rainy Port" (雨港).
Keelung was first inhabited by the Ketagalan, a tribe of Taiwanese aborigine.
"Keelung" used to be written in the homophonous characters meaning "Rooster Cage" (雞籠), named after a local mountain of such a shape. Another theory suggests that the characters were transcription of a Ketagalan placename. The characters were changed in 1875 (Qing Dynasty) to mean "The Base that Prospers".
In 1863, the Qing Empire opened up Keelung as a trading port. A systematic city development started in 1895 during the Japanese Occupation. Coal mining peaked in 1968.
Keelung administers seven districts:
(Tongyong Pinyin, followed by Hanyu Pinyin in parentheses, if different)
- Anle District (安樂區)
- Cidu District (七堵區 Qidu)
- Jhongjheng District (中正區 Zhongzheng)
- Jhongshan District (中山區 Zhongshan)
- Nuannuan District (暖暖區)
- Ren-ai District (仁愛區 Ren'ai)
- Sinyi District (信義區)
- 700 households (1840)
- 9,500 (1897)
- 58,000 (1924)
- 100,000 (1943)
- 92,000 (1944): decrease due to Allied air bombings
- 130,000 (1948): 28,000 Mainlander influx
- 330,000 (1971)
- 347,828 (late 1990s)
Not to be confused with the Australian Geelong, which is not a sister city of Keelung. Keelung's Australian sister city is Marrickville.