) was a Hittite
city in what is now western Syria
. It was the location of the earliest surviving peace treaty - the Kadesh Treaty
) between the Egyptians
and the Hittites, signed after the Battle of Kadesh
, one of the earliest known battles.
The remains of Kadesh are on the Orontes River, 22 miles north of Tiberias. Kadesh was an Egyptian outpost until being taken by the Hittites in 1340 BC