Jonathan BrandisJonathan Gregory Brandis
(13 April 1976
- 12 November 2003
) was an American
actor, the only child of Greg and Mary Brandis of Danbury, Connecticut
He received his first starring role in The NeverEnding Story II, and went on to appear primarily in television roles. Of these, he is most famous for his portrayal of scientific prodigy Lucas Wolenczak in Steven Spielberg's futuristic science fiction series seaQuest DSV.
He had roles in the following television programs and movies:
- Poor Little Rich Girl: The Barbara Hutton Story (1987)
- The Wrong Guys (1988)
- Stepfather II (1989)
- The NeverEnding Story II: The Next Chapter (1990)
- Stephen King's It (1990)
- Ladybugs (1992)
- Sidekicks (1992)
- Aladdin (1993)
- seaQuest DSV (1993-1994)
- seaQuest 2032 (1995)
- Her Last Chance (1996)
- Born Free: A New Adventure (1996)
- Fall Into Darkness (1996)
- Two Came Back (1997)
- Outside Providence (1999)
- Ride with the Devil (1999)
- A Fate Totally Worse Than Death (2000)
- Hart's War (2002)
- The Year That Trembled (2002)
- Puerto Vallarta Squeeze (2003)
- 111 Gramercy Park (2003)
During his lifetime he was romanticly linked to Tatyana Ali
, Heather McComb, Vinessa Shaw, and Monica Keena.
He had expressed an interest in moving his career towards more directing work rather than acting, although he recently auditioned for the role of Anakin Skywalker in George Lucas' Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones.
Late on 11 November 2003 a friend called from Brandis' apartment to report that he had attempted suicide by hanging. He was rushed to the hospital but he died hours later.