The title of Jinong was first given to Kamala, a grandson of Khubilai Khan in 1292. He served the mausoleum of Chinggis Khan (naiman chaghaan ger lit. eight white houses). Those who served to the mausolem was called the Ordus and Jinong came to mean the highest priest of the portable mausoleum. The Ordus lived on the Kerulen river but later moved to what is now called Ordos.
After Dayan Khan, whose father was the Jinong, unified Mongolia, his descendants had assumed the position until 1949. During the Qing Dynasty the Jinong also served as the chief of the Yeke Juu League or a banner in it.
See also: Mausoleum of Genghis Khan