The Millersville settlement on western side of island was occasionally used as a weather station from 1935 until World War II, when it was abandoned; it was reoccupied in 1957 during the International Geophysical Year by scientists who left in 1958. Public entry is by special-use permit from U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service only and is generally restricted to scientists and educators. The island is visited annually by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.