The village name is Anglo Saxon in origin, and means 'Ifa's hill-spur'. In the Domesday Book of 1086 it was recorded as Evinghehou.
The village has some particularly fine examples of Tudor architecture, particularly around the village green.
Ivinghoe Beacon, which is near the village, is one of the ancient beacons, or signal points, used in times of crisis to send messages across the country. The hill is the site of an Iron age hillfort and is very popular today with hang gliders and kite enthusiasts.
Ivinghoe Aston is a hamlet within the parish of Ivinghoe. Its name refers to a farm to the east of the main village.