Frost et al. (1989) redefined this family. The genera belonging to the different subfamilies were assigned to separate families. This view is not generally accepted.
Classification of iguanas (after Frost et al.)
- Subfamily Corytophaninae: casquehead lizards
- Subfamily Crotaphytinae: collared and leopard lizards
- Subfamily Hoplocercinae: wood lizards, clubtails
- Subfamily Iguaninae: iguanas and spinytail iguanas
- Subfamily Leiocephalinae
- Subfamily Leiosaurinae
- Subfamily Liolaeminae
- Subfamily Oplurinae: Madagascar iguanids
- Subfamily Phrynosomatinae: earless, spiny, tree, side-blotched and horned lizards)
- Subfamily Polychrotinae: anoles
- Subfamily Tropidurinae: neotropical ground lizards
- Frost, D.E. and R.E. Etheridge (1989) A Phylogenetic Analysis and Taxonomy of Iguanian Lizards (Reptilia: Squamata). Univ. Kansas Mus. Nat. Hist. Misc. Publ. 81
- Frost, D.R., R. Etheridge, D. Janies and T.A. Titus (2001) Total evidence, sequence alignment, evolution of Polychrotid lizards, and a reclassification of the Iguania (Squamata: Iguania). American Museum Novitates 3343: 38 pp.