This article is about the plant type. For other uses see Holly (disambiguation)
- Ilex aquifolium - English holly
- Ilex cassine - Dahoon holly
- Ilex glabra Gallberry, inkberry (SE USA)
- Ilex latifolia - Tarajo holly
- Ilex montana - Mountain holly or mountain winterberry
- Ilex opaca - American holly
- Ilex paraguariensis - Yerba maté
- Ilex vomitoria - Yaupon holly
Hollies are shrubs and trees of the genus Ilex. Many of them are highly decorative. Some have leaves with widely-spaced, spine-tipped leaves, while others have simple leaves.
Holly plants are male and female. Only the female has berries, but requires a male as a pollenizer. Also bees are required as wind pollination is negligible.
foliage and berries