is a village
in the unitary authority
of City of York
in the north of England
, south east of the centre of York
It was probably an Anglian settlement and is mentioned in the Domesday Book. It became a Conservation Area in 1969.
Heslington Hall was built between 1565 and 1568 for Sir Thomas Eynns. In the 20th century it was owned by Lord Deramore, but is now the administrative headquarters for the University of York.
The village tends to be busy as it provides a number of services for the students of the University of York; specifically: 4 banks, 2 pubs, a post office, and a food shop.
The local school, Lord Deramore's Primary School, serves the residents of the Badger Hill estate, Heslington village and the families of the scholars of the University of York.
The two pubs in Heslington are the Deramore Arms and the Charles XII.
The Deramore Arms tends to be the haunt of the local farming community. It has a fine selection of beer and can be relied upon to have a number of quality guest beers on tap.
The Charles XII, named after the racehorse, is popular with the students of the nearby University of York.