- Alternate usages: Hercules is also a bomb-detecting robot at Eleftherios Venizelos International Airport named after the Roman mythology character. There is also Hercules, California.
In classical mythology
, the name in Roman mythology
of the Greek Heracles
, was the (some say mortal, some say demigod) son of Jupiter
and the mortal Alcmene
. He was made to perform twelve great tasks, called the Twelve Labours of Hercules
and become a god. He became a major hero of Greek mythology
. For further information, see Heracles
The name Hercules in pop culture
Hercules has become a name associated with legendary strength, and is used in the names of many products. The legend of Hercules itself has many movie and television adaptations.
- Steve Reeves starred in a number of 1950s movies as Hercules
- A syndicated TV series The Sons of Hercules, which repackaged Italian Maciste films
- Hercules appears as a character in the movie Jason & the Argonauts, which has special effects by Ray Harryhausen
- The Disney movie Hercules and its spin-off animated TV series
- The syndicated TV series Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, which is only very loosely based on the classical hero.
- Young Hercules, a television series based on the heroes youth.
- The Mighty Hercules, an animated series that ran in the 1960s.
- Hercules, a public domain character, has appeared in several comic books.
- A constellation named after the Greek hero
- C-130 Hercules, a transport aircraft
- HMS Hercules, name of several British naval ships
- Hercules Graphics Card
- Hercules Motorcycles, built by aviation pioneer Glenn Curtiss