(May 5 1846
- November 15 1916
) was a Polish
novelist, one of the most outstanding Polish writers of the 2nd half of 19th century.
Since published his novels in series in newspapers, he was immensely popular and loved at his times and after over a century he is still highly valued among readers of prose. He is best known for his colourful historical novels depicting heroic deeds of Polish fighters.
His novel Quo Vadis has been filmed several times, notably the 1951 version.
Nobel Prize in literature laureate in 1905.
The most important works:
- Trylogia (Trilogy)
- Ogniem i mieczem (With Fire and Sword) 1884
- Potop (The Deluge) 1886
- Pan Wołodyjowski (Mr. Wolodyjowski) 1888
- Krzyzacy (The Teutonic Knights) 1900
- Quo Vadis 1895
- W pustyni i w puszczy (In Desert and Wilderness) 1912
- Rodzina Połanieckich (The Polaniecki Family) 1894
- Bez dogmatu (Without Dogma) 1891
Please see the disambiguation page quo vadis
for more info.