Hee Bee Gee BeesHee Bee Gee Bees
were a pop group formed initially to parody the Bee Gees
towards the close of their sequence of high-pitched, somewhat repetitive disco-style hits. Performers included Richard Curtis
, Angus Deayton
and Philip Pope
. Their big hit "Meaningless Songs" was released by Original Records in 1980
and is regarded as one of the best produced and keenly observed musical parodies.
They did not confine themselves to Bee Gees parodies, however. They subsequently released two albums, now quite hard to find, which include parodies of Supertramp ("Scatological Song"), Michael Jackson ("Up the Wall"), Status Quo ("Boring Song"), The Police ("Too Depressed to Commit Suicide") and others.
They also made regular "guest" appearances on Radio Active, since most of them were already cast members. The name is based on a popular doll.
- Meaningless Songs / Posing In the Moonlight(1980)
- Too Depressed To Commit Suicide / Up the Wall(1981)
- Boring Song / Dead Cicada (1981)
- When two songs (sound the same) - Frankie Goes To The Bank / Purple pants- Ponce (1989)
- 439 Golden Greats - Never Mind The Original's Here's The Hee Bee Gee Bees (1981)
- The Hee Bee Gee Bees Present - 20 Big No. 2’s