Gurabo's history dates as far back as the 1600s, when Gurabo was actually part of Caguas. Then, the area was known as Burabo. By 1700, transportation, medical and economic trouble were crippling the population of the Burabo area; traveling to Caguas' center for business and medical help was not easy and took hours. This led to many of Burabos citizens to seek for the area to gain autonomy.
It would be long, however, before Gurabo was separated from Caguas. The separation movement was brought forward by a 1812 meeting of all 168 family leaders in Gurabo, who decided to have Luis del Carmen Echevarría lead them in their quest for autonomic independence, based on the large number of residents in Burabo.
Gurabo is known today for its famous stairs. Located in town center, the stairs are about twenty two floors high, and they are painted in bright colors. The cross an important business area of Gurabo.